Paranormal Activity 3
Paranormal Activity 3 is a 2011 American supernatural horror film and the third film of the Paranormal Activity series and serves as a prequel, set 18 years prior to the events of the first two films. It was released in theaters on October 21, 2011.
In 2005 Katie delivers a box of old videotapes to her sister, Kristi, and Kristi's husband, Daniel. A year later, Kristi and Daniel's house is seemingly burgled and the tapes are missing.
The action then shifts to 1988, when a young Katie and Kristi live with their mother, Julie, and her boyfriend, Dennis. Kristi begins interacting with an invisible friend named Toby. Dennis notices that since Kristi's friend appeared, strange things have been happening in the house. Dennis and Julie try to make a sex tape, but are interrupted by an earthquake. While they look for the girls, the camera shows dust falling from the ceiling and landing on an invisible figure in the room, before the figure moves and the dust falls to the floor.
While reviewing the footage later, Dennis notices the strange incident. He invites his friend Randy over to view the footage, who suggests that Dennis place cameras throughout the house to capture any other incidents. That night in the girls' bedroom, Kristi wakes up and begins talking to someone off-camera before going back to bed. When Dennis questions her about this the following day, Kristi tells him that it is her friend Toby. After more disturbed nights and strange occurrences, Dennis discovers a strange symbol in the girls' closet. He finds the same symbol on a picture of women in a book about mysticism. Dennis explains to Julie that the symbol belonged to a witches coven that brainwashed young girls into having sons, but Julie dismisses his claim.
After Kristi falls ill, Julie and Dennis take her to the hospital. Katie is left with Randy, and she asks him to play Bloody Mary with her. They go into the bathroom of the girls' room and say "bloody Mary" three times and turn off the light. When nothing happens Katie insists they try again. This time when the lights come on, Randy has been cut across his chest. They try to leave the bathroom but something moves past the door, forcing them to retreat. When Randy tries to leave a second time, furniture is violently thrown around. After Julie and Dennis return, Randy hurriedly leaves.
Julie and Dennis get into an argument about the constant filming. Meanwhile the invisible entity terrorizes Katie and Kristi, lifting Katie by her hair and tossing her around the room. Kristi tries to convince her mother to take them to her grandmother's home but she refuses. The next day, Julie encounters terrifying activity in the kitchen and decides to take her family to her mother's home. Dennis sets up another camera in the new bedroom. At 1 a.m., they are awoken by the sound of a car pulling up outside. Julie guesses the noise is her mother, who has trouble sleeping. After hearing more disturbances, Julie goes to investigate. When she fails to return, Dennis goes to look for her. In the background the camera captures a shadowy female figure. Dennis returns and picks up the camera.
He calls out for Julie and the girls but there is no answer. Realizing that no one else is in the house, he goes downstairs. Dennis notices a human silhouette behind a curtain, which disappears when he enters the room. However he does find strange imagery on the walls, including the symbol that he found in the girls' room and an inverted pentagram. Noticing that the back door is open, Dennis goes outside to investigate. In the garage he discovers Julie's mother and several other women, all dressed in black. Dennis flees back to the house, with the women in slow pursuit. In the house he finds Julie at the top of the stairs. As he approaches, he sees that she is dead, her body levitating above the floor. Her corpse suddenly drops, falling into Dennis and knocking him down the stairs. He picks himself up and sees Kristi, then retreats with her into a closet. Something bangs on the door but eventually leaves.
Dennis and Kristi leave the closet and find Katie by Julie's body. He slowly approaches Katie from behind and places his hand on her shoulder. As he does, Katie turns and unleashes an inhuman scream and throws him to the other side of the room, injuring his leg. Katie runs away. Dennis tries to crawl toward Julie but sees Julie's mother suddenly appear. His body is suddenly and violently contorted, snapping backwards and killing him. Katie reappears and runs to her grandmother, who beckons to Kristi. As they head upstairs, Kristi calls to Toby. There is the sound of movement and a monstrous growl as the footage stops recording.
- Katie Featherstonas Katie
- Chloe Csengery as young Katie
- Sprague Graydenas Kristi Rey
- Jessica Tyler Brown as young Kristi
- Brian Boland as Daniel Rey
- Lauren Bittner as Julie
- Christopher Nicholas Smith as Dennis
- Mark Fredrichs as Dr. Fredrichs
In an interview with Dread Central, director and producer, Oren Peli, stated that Paramount Pictures was given the greenlight to begin production of Paranormal Activity 3. Production on the film began in June. The film was directed by Henry Joost and Ariel Schulman (who both directed the documentary Catfish). Jason Blum, Steven Schneider and Oren Peli produced, along with Akiva Goldsman serving as executive producer. With a script written by Christopher B. Landon, the prequel was released on October 21, 2011.
Once again using unique social media strategy after the success of the first two films, Paranormal Activity 3 created the "Tweet Your Scream" campaign on Twitter in preparation for the release
The film has received mixed reviews from critics. Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reports that 74% of 67 critics have given the film a positive review, with a rating average of 6.4 out of 10.Metacritic, which assigns a weighted average score out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, gives the film a score of 64 based on 18 reviews.
- ^ "Paranormal Activity 3 (15)". Henry Joost and Ariel Schulman. British Board of Film Classification. 2011-10-10. http://www.bbfc.co.uk/AFF282081/. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- ^ Zeitchik, Steven (October 20, 2011). "Movie Projector: 'Paranormal Activity 3' to frighten rivals". Los Angeles Times. Tribune Company. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2011/10/paranormal-activity-3-johnny-english-musketeers.html. Retrieved October 20, 2011.
- ^ a b http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2011/10/paranormal-brings-in-strong-8-million-in-midnight-screenings.html
- ^ "Global Sites & Release Dates". Paramount Pictures. http://www.paranormalmovie.com/intl/releasedates/release-dates.html. Retrieved 2011-09-01.
- ^ Davidson, Danica (July 22, 2011). "'Paranormal Activity 3' Trailer: Discover The Secret". MTV.com. http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2011/07/22/paranormal-activity-3-trailer. Retrieved July 23, 2011.
- ^ McWeeny, Drew. "Review: Paranormal Activity 3 expands the mythology, ups the scale of scares". HitFix.com. http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-captured/posts/review-paranormal-activity-3-expands-the-mythology-ups-the-scale-of-scares. Retrieved 2011-10-01.
- ^ "EXCLUSIVE Breaking News - Paranormal Activity 3 on Its Way!!!". DreadCentral.com. November 17, 2010. http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/40991/exclusive-breaking-news-paranormal-activity-3-its-way. Retrieved September 20, 2011.
- ^ "Horror News: Director James Wan to Hunt a Spectre; Catfish Helmers to Tackle Paranormal Activity 3". reelz. May 9, 2011. http://www.reelz.com/movie-news/10249/horror-news-director-james-wan-to-hunt-a-spectre-catfish-helmers-to-tackle-paranormal-activity-3/. Retrieved September 20, 2011.
- ^ "San Diego Comic-Con 2011: The First Teaser Trailer for Paranormal Activity 3 Is Waiting to Haunt You; Oren Peli Speaks!". DreadCentral.com. July 21, 2011. http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/45841/san-diego-comic-con-2011-first-teaser-trailer-paranormal-activity-3-waiting-haunt-you-ore. Retrieved July 25, 2011.
- ^ "Paranormal Activity 3 (2011)". Rotten Tomatoes. Flixster. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/paranormal_activity_3/. Retrieved October 20, 2011.
- ^ "Paranormal Activity 3 Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. http://www.metacritic.com/movie/paranormal-activity-3. Retrieved October 20, 2011.